Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Be the Change

Can you feel the electricity in the air? The hope? I feel so fortunate to be a part of it. What an amazing time! During my conference period today, my phone rang. I usually turn it off when I get to school, but I had forgotten, so I answered it. Kristinn was on the other end, telling me that 3 year old Sofia had something to say. Sofia got on the phone and said, "Hi Bubbe, I am watching President Barack Obama!" I heard 5 year old Gabriel in the background saying, "We're watching the inauguration!" We (teachers) were able to see the swearing in and President Obama's speech before we had to get back to class. In San Antonio yesterday, our MLK March was once again one of the (if not the) largest in the US. It was very moving to see the joy on everyone's faces- to know that a dream few expected to ever happen has come true with this inauguration. People of all ethnicities and religious backgrounds marched arm in arm, and it truly felt like a new dawn is here- a new age of more than just tolerance but acceptance and even (dare I say it?) love. Only a few times in my life have I known I was witnessing a historic event, but today is a day I will never forget. Let's keep the dream alive until we are all truly equal.

3 comments:

Kristinn said...

What's crazy is we totally forgot the rest of the U.S. had to work today! Otherwise we wouldn't have called, but I'm glad we forgot. Sofia got to tell you about her favorite name to say -- President Barack Obama. I have to say it is the cutest sounding name coming out of a 3-year-old's mouth. :D At one point in the inauguration ceremony, Gabe blurted out, "He said 'duty!' and he cracked up laughing." Of course made us laugh too...

Gigi said...

What a day! I stayed home in the morning so I could watch as much as possible. The oath of office (even though messed up by John Roberts) was administered at 8 AM AK time so we didn't have long to wait!

Betty said...

I was overwhelmed by the crowd along with the joy, hope and happiness! I watched it all day long and was truly inspired. I will never forget this day!