Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolutions, Smesolutions...

It's 57 minutes and 0ne second to the new year, and I'm thinking about resolutions. Just thinking because I don't really believe in making them. Why bother? Yes, I could lose another 10 pounds, and yes, I could probably give up a million and one things, but for some reason, if I make a public declaration that I'm going to do something- anything- I generally shoot myself in the foot and create my own failure. So, if I don't make a resolution and just happen to lose 10 pounds- great, and if I don't- well, that's ok, too. There are many more important things in life. I've been thinking a lot about Grandpop lately, and from the time I was a kid, I've thought if I could be half the person he was, I'd be a pretty decent person. That's something I can concentrate on now- being that person- taking time each day to reflect on what I can do better or differently. I can take the time to make a difference for someone else. Instead of working on making myself look better on the outside, I can work on being better on the inside. This isn't a resolution because I can't promise I'll succeed every day, but what I can promise is that I'll remember Grandpop's example and try to live up to what he would want me to be. I'll remember to laugh at myself and to find joy in the simple things. I'll remember that each child I teach is the best that his/her parents have and try to see each one from his/her parent's eyes. And I'll remember to follow my heart because it's so much smarter than my head. Last, I'll say what I'm feeling even though some might think it's cheesy... I love you my family and friends. You're all so important to me, and you light up my life in more ways than you know.

2 comments:

Gigi said...

Yeah, I am not the best with resolutions, either. I think it's good if we just try to leave the world in a better situation than we found it, even if it's just our own little corner. I am going to strive for that. :) I am grateful for all of you who have graced my life and send much love your way.

Betty said...

Amen to both of your comments. I decided not to make a formal resolution this year but try to be a better person. Like: not to be catty :) and try to find some good in everyone. I had a good one already today and it's hard not to whine about it. So I wish you all the best and I love having you as a part of my family!