Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Reunion time

What a wonderful few days we've had! Last week, knowing that Kristinn was coming in to town for a few days, I invited some of her high school friends to come over for a belated birthday party/reunion. Kristinn and I were both happily surprised when Luci showed up all the way from Brownsville along with "locals" Ricky, Kelly, Priscilla, and Jennifer, AND Casey from Houston. It was great fun catching up with everyone- you know how it is when you are going to visit with people you haven't seen in years, and when they finally arrive, it's as if time is suspended? That's what it felt like. All of these 30 somethings were my students back in middle school in South San Antonio and all very special to me because not only were they (and still are) amazing people, they were also Kristinn's friends and spent time at our house or on trips. Luci and Ricky went with me to the Y.O. Ranch to present a project we did in our GT class. All of the other presentations there were science projects, but ours was done in an English class- research based. Only a small number were chosen each year from the many applications, and for as long as the program continued, the kids in my little GT class were invited every year. It was especially wonderful to have my oldest daughter home for a few days, though it made me wish she and her family lived here permanently. With Alana moving home, I'm getting greedy! I now have four out of the six here in San Antonio. We'll all have to get working on Kristinn and Tim, Ryan and Vicki!

2 comments:

Betty said...

What fun! I know that Kristinn was excited to come back to S.A. Seeing her old friends had to be a special bonus. You're right about time standing still. I think that's true for all reunions. I have my 60th high school one happening this Fall. That's when all my classmates call me Betty Anne! LOL!

Kathi said...

I've yet to go to a reunion- just never really felt a part of 'ole Cooper High School. Most base kids I was close to left before graduation. I'm impressed that you're still going to yours- how neat that you've stayed in touch for all these years!