Saturday, July 18, 2009

What a dog!

Sheena, our black lab mix wonderdog died over a year ago, but sometimes as I'm waking up in the morning, I could swear she's next to my bed. I wrote the following at my Writers' Group this week:

To Sheena

Our ritual-
Cold nose nudges my face
as morning intrudes
into my bed
I place my hand
on your soft head
You run for the door
and come back,
tail wagging as I
Rise
from dreams of sand
and twisted shells
I stretch,
pull on my empty pockets
up to my knees
and laugh
Wrong pants!
Quick change
and we’re off
to carve out
our walk
Along the sunflowered paths

-Kathi

4 comments:

Suzassippi said...

Sweet. I know the feeling--sometimes I still think I see Trina.

Betty said...

Love it! Spoken from the heart!

Gigi said...

So sweet. I know you miss her.

Kristinn said...

I love it! I also sometimes still think I see Dixie and Burger...what names! The two new kittens are supposed to be Skippy and Stitch, but they're girls. I'm thinking about renaming them before we pick them up... :)