Monday, January 21, 2013

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, and somehow I actually slept in and missed the march.  San Antonio has one of the largest marches in the nation, believe it or not, and it's always a great day with many fabulous speeches and actions, and I missed it this year.  I don't usually sleep well, so for me to have slept is a little weird.  I guess I must have needed it.

Speaking of MLK, I've always considered him to be one of my "heroes."  I would have liked to have known him, to have marched with him, to have sat at his feet and learned from him.  He made so much of what is happening today possible.  Without him, not only would the antiquated ideas of race be, well, antiquated, I doubt that women's rights, gay rights-all of our rights would be where they are today.  We still have a way to go, but thank goodness for Martin and others like him, who stood up when it would have been easier to sit down.

I watch my grandchildren playing, and they are still too young to even notice race or anything else that often divides adults.  I love that.  I love that they accept everyone, that they haven't learned judgment, and hope that when they do, they will use it based on action instead of race, gender, orientation or that which contributes to make each of us the persons we are.

So, Mr. King, I'm sorry I missed the march in your honor today, but I promise to keep the dream alive in my own little way.  May we all follow in your footsteps and "be the change" we envision.

Peace.