Monday, November 24, 2008

A Whole Week Off!

In 28 years of teaching, I've noticed certain idiosyncrasies some of us have. We are so excited when a new school year begins. We can smell the school supplies when we walk into stores, and it's like perfume to us. We're meeting at the school to get ready before we have to, and we're making big plans for "this year." But then, after about a week with our new charges, we find ourselves walking down the hall, and the conversation goes something like this: Me- "How's it going?" Mr. G.- "Only 4 days until Labor Day!" Ms. P. "Really? I don't think I'll make it!" From then on, time is marked by the next holiday. Thanksgiving gives us a week off, Christmas and New Year's Day add up to two weeks. There's the week of Spring Break, and then summer is right behind it. Two and a half glorious months... And you know what? About two weeks into summer, we're going stir crazy. We're calling each other, making plans for another year. We miss our classrooms and our kids, and we can't wait to walk into Target in August and smell those school supplies. I LOVE my job!

2 comments:

Gigi said...

Love it! Welcome aboard! I look forward to lots of stories from school and beyond. :)

Betty said...

I know & understand what you're saying only it was running groups. It took a while to not miss it anymore. Enjoy your week.